Overview: The new health care law, sometimes called Obamacare, is once-in-a-generation reform. The law says that, starting in 2014, most Americans must have health insurance. Planned Parenthood is here to help people understand what the new health care law means for them and what steps they need to take to get covered. Interns will provide resources to Planned Parenthood patients about how to enroll in new insurance plans. Interns will be advocates for Medicaid Expansion in VA, which would extend coverage to around 400,000 Virginians, including 169,000 women.
- Educate Planned Parenthood patients about new health insurance plans available under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and about policy efforts to expand Medicaid in Virginia
- Enroll eligible uninsured community members in new, more affordable health care
- Complete timely data entry and management.
- Work with community partners to ensure meaningful collaborations
- Execute events to educate the public on the ACA
- Establish regular communication with PP staff regarding patient insurance and Medicaid expansion education efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Locations: Richmond, Virginia Beach, Falls Church/DC, Charlottesville, and Roanoke
- Understands and abides by PP mission and core values, including diversity, self-determination, privacy, access and choice; practices these values in the work environment with internal and external audiences.
- A strong and proven commitment to progressive values and civic engagement, especially within traditionally underrepresented communities and youth.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Must be available and willing to work during peak health center traffic times; some weekday evenings and weekends may be required.
- Comfortable speaking to and interacting with the public, self-motivated and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work as part of team and be flexible.
- Complete a positive background check and provide at least three references.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and preferably own a car.
- Knowledge of ACA and Virginia politics a plus.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
**If interested in Richmond internship, please send resume to email@example.com
**If interested in Charlottesville or Roanoke internship please send items listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “VA ACA Internship” in the subject line
- A cover letter which demonstrates a commitment to our organization’s mission and values.
- A resume of applicable experience relative to the responsibilities and qualifications listed above.
- List of 3 professional or academic references
**If interested in Virginia Beach internship, please send resume to email@example.com
** If interested in Falls Church/DC internship, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org